Saturday 26 September 2020

Hospital Flowers

 Hello Readers

Hope you all are fine.

The whole world is a process, and we all are drops of water, we flow into the meadows and finally join the sea.

These remarkable words were quoted by Dalai lama XIV when he was asked about does he feel blessed about being chosen as a Dalai Lama?

Interesting side note Dalai Lama is a title given by the Tibetan people for the foremost spiritual leader of the Gelug or “Yellow Hat” school of Tibetan Buddhism.

Well, this one is about a life event which happened to me some twelve years ago.

I was in my per-university second year; it was a Saturday the second of August.

I was tucked up in a blue shirt and a cargo six pocket trouser and sports snickers, those were the days of no mobiles and no two-wheeler, only the most affluent were given all those luxuries, I have always been walking and public transport user until recently.

My college was far from my house. I had to take three buses to reach there!

 with a Michael Jackson song jamming in my ears, got down the first bus and saw the next bus on the other side of the road, was happy to see that bus as it would stop at my final destination, which would cut down a bus change, I waved at the bus to stop and stepped to cross the road.

That’s it, the next thing I remember is a group of people surrounding and me staring at my watch, the display for some reason was scrambled, it took me some moments to understand I had crashed!

A road traffic accident is what it is referred popularly in India! Was hit a bike.

I had a double fracture in my right ankle joint and a deep fracture in my left hand too!

 I borrowed a stranger’s phone and called my dad, and the person who hit me with a bike took me to the nearby hospital!

My dad rushed to see me; I was put in an auto-rickshaw.

Then the surgical procedures the bed rest for almost ten months then my road towards recovery and finally was back on my legs life moved on , but you know when I reconnect to that memory, it makes me feel cheerful.

You might be thinking have I lost my mind? a dreadful experience makes me feel cheerful? Will tell you why to read on.

Adam Young is a singer from Owatonna, Minnesota he founded a band called owl city in 2007 this band has only one member that is Mr. Adam Young he creates songs and performers using synthesizers and other equipment.

There is a song in specific which I felt was very meaningful to my situation, when I heard it first I was pursuing my graduation some five years after since i was back  its called “Hospital flowers.”

The lyrics go like this:

I survived a dreadful accident.

 In the car crash of the century

 My shattered hopes collapsed on a cold cement

 But in the back of the ambulance, I’d never felt so content.

  A high-speed collision gave a new sense of sight to me.

 And now my vision can render the scene.

  A blurry image of wreckage and roadside debris

 Happiness returned to me through a grave emergency.

 I tossed and turned in sterile apathy

 Until the violets arrived for me.

  The bouquet burst and blossoms filled the room

 And the place got smaller as they grew taller

 And taught me to bloom……………

 The last stanza is remarkable:

 A high-speed collision gave a new sense of sight to me;
And now my vision can render the scene;
A blurry image of wreckage and roadside debris;
Happiness returned to me;
Happiness returned to me;

Happiness returned to me through a grave emergency;
Through a grave emergency;
Happiness returned to me through a grave emergency.

 (album: All Things Bright and Beautiful song writer Adam R. Young lyrics courtesy lyricfind.com)

 Well, each word written by Adam was like a reflection that happened to me.

I wanted this blog to be as candid as possible, you know more like you are writing a journal.

This life event thought me so many things, how did my body react to a trauma, how thought that why me? the hopelessness a directionless feeling in my mind and the feeling of all over!

I understood what is to be handicapped! For the briefest period of 10 months of recovery, I felt the pain of each handicap in this world of what they go through each day and how unfair life is with them!

That night after I underwent the surgical procedure when I was kept in an intensive care unit.

Spoke to few old folks with hip fractures and heard their stories like: they fell from a tall building when they trying to earn their daily bread, a beam of light flashed up in front of me.

Do we realize how tiny and delicate we are, a bike came and hit me maybe at 40KM per hour which broke my bones, until then perhaps my approach towards life was something different, and after this, I think it changed forever, and I would say it changed for good.

 

Courtesy Google images


 If this event had not happened in my life not sure if my life would turn out good or bad, like I keep asking people can look at an alternative reality to check what would happened to India without the British invasion?

I learnt to be even more kind to people and empathic, on a lighter note became an advisor to all my friends who came to me for fracture-related advice used to direct them the doctors who treated me.

Twelve years, each year, still I remember that day, my family says I should not recollect something dark and painful.

But Only when we undergo pain in life, that we understand the beauty and marvel of life and how we are blessed we are, to get up in the morning and do our activities without help and eat a square meal and sleep in peace!

The people who have experienced such life events will understand that materialism is an illusion, I urge all to come out of this bubble which vanishes with a prick of a weakest pin.

Well, for the people who do not learn even after they undergo such incidents, maybe I would say better late than never, reconcile, retrospect and try to learn from such experiences!

Humble, courtesy, sympathy, selfless, compassionate are the qualities we need to imbibe in children in this era of brutal materialism and selfish attitudes.

We must all try to be motivators, well-wishers, a caring person to people, plants, animals around you which is the least you could do to show you are a matured human being.

 If you do not want to do it, atleast be an honest selfish individual and think about improving yourself, but do not harm this society!

Well, that is all I had today, I understand this is longer than my usual reads. Still, I had to be candid.

I  am thrilled to share my experience as a person who actually went through the ordeal and by the grace the force which makes all this happens, those doctors who treated me, my family and few friends, I am living a second life!

Each day you work towards suppressing your ego, you go ten miles ahead!

-Michael Jackson.

 Have a great week ahead.

Helios.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting way of look at an accident.
When you have injury you realise how a small part of your body is so important. That is also the time you realise your surrounding pals!!

Suhas Karanth said...

Well. Each and every incident in our life (good or bad) will teach us something or other. We have to learn from it and we have to move on. That's what life is all about. Thank you for sharing this incident!!

Harish Murthy said...

@ Suhas thanks for your comments .

Harish Murthy said...

@Unknown you have echoed my thoughts ,thanks .

Tussle- Story about a fight.

Hello Readers   I hope you all are doing great; it has been a long time since I wrote a blog, I have been a bit busy, but it is a great fe...