Sunday 6 August 2017

Bot World-The Bizarre Future

Hello readers

Hope you all are fine.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
Paul R.Ehrlich

Technology is marching at swift pace and becoming more intelligent, advanced and automated each  day, is it healthy for the society? Well actually it is a debate, I was reading about monoacting and its difficulties, then I came across an article about monolog debates, I was very much interested and I have read the basics and  I am excited to try it out in my blog today.

So the rules of monolog debate is simple, the speaker will present his /her debate with both the “for” and “against” and the audience will provide a feedback and be part of either the “for” or the against.

In my case I would present you the debate you could take sides through the comment box seems simple? So Let’s begin.

The topic “Robots and artificial intelligence a boon or a bane for planet earth”

Robots or automata (first word coined for robots by Egyptians) commonly called as droids have been part of human civilization from ancient times, and they have always been made in the spirit betterment of human society and automation to minimize the human effort in doing mechanical work.

At times they have also been used to protect civilizations for instance in ancient Asia there is a scripture which describes how Buddha’s relics were protected by robots called bhuta Vahana Yantra from Roma Vishay (Rome).

Leonardo Da-Vinci a great inventor and artist around the year 1495 built a robot which acted like a mechanical knight to protect his king!

In modern period post-industrial evolution we can see robots are on a high run used in almost all industries which has definitely helped in building better products with great precision and quality.

So will there be a day where we end up being ruled by droids? There ends the “for” part of my debate.

Now I will try contradicting all the good I spoke about robots.

Even though robots are helping us so much are there not risks involved? Well you may ask what the risk is of course a human has programmed it and you can pull the plug out and it becomes just a junk of metal instantly. But this is not as easy as it is told with the concept high security control rooms and panels there will be definitely levels of access and steps which you might need to take before you could just switch it off!

But there was recent news on the internet about Facebook which absolutely shocked me. Read this!

Article Source: Andrew Griffin for the Independent.co.uk

Facebook abandoned an experiment after two artificially intelligent programs appeared to be chatting to each other in a strange language only they understood.

The two chatbots came to create their own changes to English that made it easier for them to work – but which remained mysterious to the humans that supposedly look after them.

The bizarre discussions came as Facebook challenged its chatbots to try and negotiate with each other over a trade, attempting to swap hats, balls and books, each of which were given a certain value. But they quickly broke down as the robots appeared to chant at each other in a language that they each understood but which appears mostly incomprehensible to humans.

The robots had been instructed to work out how to negotiate between themselves, and improve their bartering as they went along. But they were not told to use comprehensible English, allowing them to create their own "shorthand", according to researchers.

The actual negotiations appear very odd, and don't look especially useful:

Bob: i can i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Bob: i i can i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Bob: i . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i i i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have 0 to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

But there appear to be some rules to the speech. The way the chatbots keep stressing their own name appears to a part of their negotiations, not simply a glitch in the way the messages are read out.

Indeed, some of the negotiations that were carried out in this bizarre language even ended up successfully concluding their negotiations, while conducting them entirely in the bizarre language.



Thanks for the independent for the article; so what happened above is it not shocking?

It’s just out a James Cameron’s science fiction series “Terminator- the Judgement day” well the imagination of this great guy proved out it be an inexplicable reality!

So  too much automation and building humanoid robots may fade away what we believe to be real world and make it a more programmed world, and we becoming slaves to the automata one day?

Doesn’t you feel a chill from the back of your spine?  It is terrible to think that such a thing happened at Facebook who knows it could have happened somewhere else but it would not have been reported.

So we are talking about artificial intelligence and the ultra-modernization of society, but I definitely sense that it is a double edged sword it can hurt its creators a pretty nasty cut, imagine a day when you here a news that some density of population just devastating due to some malfunctions in artificial intelligence bots which controlled a nuclear rocket triggered itself with such type negotiate machine language?! With some other military bot?

Conclusion:

There are for sure superb applications where robots and artificial intelligence gadgets can be and should be used and are being used  which would help reduce human life risk and also has whole lot of advantages,  but I am not sure using it as companion, a war assistant ?  I think that place should always be reserved to the most skilled humans no one else.

Too much control given to machines with lesser supervision by us will only risk the survival of mankind and all the animals.

Please think and discuss with your peers and let me know your feedback.

No comments:

Tussle- Story about a fight.

Hello Readers   I hope you all are doing great; it has been a long time since I wrote a blog, I have been a bit busy, but it is a great fe...